Thursday, June 23, 2011

break it down now!



Alright now! I have the day off, and instead of writing up my blog for today, I’ve been surfing the net and watching Good Morning America. But my countdown for starting the day is getting closer to 0, so I decided to start typing!

I’m glad the judges didn’t kick anyone off last week. Just as I suspected, everyone improved drastically in a week. It’s going to be so hard to send four of them home tonight.

Guest Judge: Debbie Reynolds! I had to Google her to find out who she was. That doesn’t make me a bad person, does it?

So, tonight, each dancer had to share an embarrassing secret about their partner. Some of them were pretty funny. Let’s get started, shall we?

Ryan & Ricky
She has fast-growing leg hair and his full name is Roderick. Last night they had a sexy jazz routine by Mandy Moore. The judges LOVED this dance, but to be honest with you all, it was my least favorite of the night. I can’t really say why, other than I didn’t think it was as good as they thought it was. It looked stilted, forced and counted out. It didn’t seem as natural as I thought it should have been. I saw several times where they were setting up for jumps and lifts (a viewer should never be able to point those out), and Ryan’s smile seemed out of place in that dance. It was supposed to be an intense dance and her bubblegum smile pushed me out. Mandy is such a good choreographer and I don’t think they did it justice. And, what is this?! Wardrobe malfunction Janet Jackson style.

Caitlynn & Mitchell
She has boots that turn her feet blue and he has a zebra-print Snuggy he calls a Snoogy. These guys have jumped up to being one of my favorite couples. They danced a Stacey Tookey contemporary routine about being in a wrong relationship. The costumes and props were brilliant. For the first half of the routine, Caitlynn was dancing in her chair and it was awesome. These two are talented beyond words, both as individual dancers, and as partners. I really felt their emotion in this number. Their lifts, partnering and trust between each other were all spectacular. LOVED IT! Blood! There was blood! Mitchell clocked Caitlynn in the nose during the dance. Favorite Routine.



Missy & Wadi
He uses Nair to get the hair off his chest and she has a funny laugh. They got to dance a Cha Cha by the A-MA-ZING Jean-Marc Genereux (where was his wife?) Great choreography, fast and sassy, spicy and suicidal. Missy was absolutely brilliant for this number. There were a few little things I was able to point out she needed to make better (that hippy walk that’s always done in the Cha Cha), but her attitude and sex appeal was spot on. Wadi, not so much. Don’t get me wrong; he’s did a great job for being a B-Boy (but I’ve seen others do better), but his shoulders were too loose and his hips were too tight. I thought they did well together, but the judges couldn’t seem to find one nice thing to say about Wadi’s performance. What happened to the sandwich method of giving feedback/constructive criticism?? I kept yelling at the TV, “Where are the buns??? Give me the buns!!!”

Iveta & Nick
She talks to herself in the mirror and he has chicken legs. Nick! Please, oh please, oh please! TAN! He’s so white, it’s shocking. I think I might buy some self tanner and ship it off to him. Anyway, back on topic. They danced a Bollywood routine by Nakul Dev Mahajan. Now, no one could ever do the amazing job that Katee and Joshua did the first time around, but everyone can try.  And that’s the fun part. When Nick found out they were doing Bollywood, he looked like he was going to cry. It was priceless. But they both committed and actually pulled it off. They gave Iveta long hair, which looked really good, but they kept her in gold spandex. Somebody please take away her gold spandex.

Miranda & Robert
She has a crush on Tado and he thinks he’s a pro-wrestler. They had a NapyTabs routine! Yay! And it was about woodpeckers? I have to admit, when I heard about it, I lost faith in the NapyTabs. But! Never again. This was an amazing routine, and they did it sooo well. I was surprised at how awesome Miranda was. They both hit it so hard and were right on and in sync. I have to admit, Miranda outshined Robert in this one. In the end, it didn’t really surprise me that NapyTabs could make a routine about a woodpecker so stinkin’ amazing. Favorite routine. 



Clarice & Jesse
She sleeps with her eyes open and he draws stick figure orchestras (don’t ask). They got a Stacey Tookey contemporary routine about a prince and a princess. I’m not going to lie. I didn’t really like this routine, and I can’t put my finger on why that was. Nigel said that they danced wonderfully apart, but their partnering wasn’t as good. Maybe that’s what was it.

Jordan & Tado
She’s not the “brightest crayon in the box” and he is OCD. I’m wondering how much time it will take for her to kill him for that remark. They got a Jean-Marc Viennese Waltz. I love Jean-Marc’s Waltzs. He is so talented and they are all so beautiful. Jordan and Tado were amazing in this one. Tado looked so dapper in his vest and slacks and Jordan was beautiful in her flowing dress. They carried it off so well, nailing the rise and fall and the lifts, and the rise and fall with the lifts. Loved it. Favorite routine.

Melanie & Marko
She hates to have her ears touched and he reads romance novels. They danced a Jazz routine by Mandy Moore. Lil’C’s word of “musicality” came out like no other. But I agree, it was a fun routine and well suited for both of them. The costumes bugged me, probably because they didn’t seem to match or go together very well. Maybe if she had a red hat to match his red jacket instead of her purple hat. *shrugs* Melanie is such a great dancer and Marko really shone, too.

Sasha & Alexander
She sweats like a dude and he likes looking at himself in the mirror. They got a hip-hop NapyTabs routine (did you know Napoleon was in the military?!?! I had no idea). The dance was about a soldier coming home. With everything that’s going on in the world right now, I know that this dance touched the hearts of many, many people out there. So that’s all I’m going to say.

Ashley & Chris
She thinks she has swag and he has a creepy, nervous smile. This routine was awesome! I don’t know who the choreographer, Spencer Liff, is, but he’s awesome! It was a 50’s jailbird Broadway routine, and it rocked!!! Ashley really is a talented dancer, and they worked so well together. That number got them on Mary’s Hot Tamale Train. First couple of the season! Favorite Routine.Ugh. video!


It’s going to be hard to pick the four going home tonight. I don’t want to admit it. If I had to pick two couples, right now it would be Iveta & Nick and Ryan & Ricky. What about you? Who do you think it’s going to be?



--Me

No comments:

Post a Comment