Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Ballerinas and bad boys - a dysfunctional romantic combination


Crash (book 1) & Clash (book 2)
Nicole Williams
Genre: TFDR (Twisted fustercluck dysfunctional romance)
Rating: 4 (Crash) 3 (Clash)
Content Rating: PG-13 (Crash) strong PG-13/weak R (Clash)
Cover Love: Fun, although Clash was better
Instalove Factor: Not really


Publisher’s Summary (Crash):
Jude Ryder and Lucy Larson are this generation's Romeo and Juliet: Explosive. Sizzling. Tragic.

A steamy summer encounter with bad boy Jude means trouble for Lucy. Her sights are set on becoming a ballerina, and she won't let anything get in her way . . . except Jude.

He's got a rap sheet, dangerous mood swings, and a name that's been sighed, shouted, and cursed by who knows how many girls.

Jude's a cancer, the kind of guy who's fated to ruin the lives of girls like Lucy—and he tells her so.

But as rumors run rampant and reputations are destroyed, Lucy's not listening to Jude's warning. Is tragedy waiting in the wings? This racy romance is hot, hot, hot!

Publisher’s Summary (Clash):

The steamy sequel to Crash!

Their Romeo-and-Juliet-level passion is the only thing Jude and Lucy agree on. That, and fighting all the time . . .

Also not helping? Lucy's raging jealousy of the cheerleader who's wormed her way into Jude's life.

While trying to hang on to her quintessential bad boy and also training to be the top ballet dancer in her class, Lucy knows something's going to give . . . soon.

How can she live without the boy she loves? How can she live with herself if she gives up on her dreams? If Lucy doesn't make the right choice, she could lose everything.


My Review:

These types of trainwreck disaster books seem to be all the rage right now, and I have to admit, I did get sucked In for a bit, but I’m done now. (until I find another one I just can’t live without). This one was surprisingly not as cheesy ridiculous as the others (read Beautiful Disaster).

Here’s how it went down. I was looking at Beautiful Disaster on Amazon. At the bottom, it told me a few books other people bought. Easy and Crash were among the list. I clicked on Crash, it looked good, but I didn’t do anything about it. Then, I was on GoodReads, and a friend had just added it to her TBR list and had a couple of comments she’d posted as she read it. Then, I went to Google Books and read the first few pages to see if I’d like it. I was hooked. Like an Alaskan salmon during fishing season.

Here’s what I’m talking about:

“Summers turn me into a sucker. That’s why I was glad this one was almost over.

Every year since puberty, from mid-June to early September, I’d been sure I was going to meet the real-world equivalent to Prince Charmin. Call me old-fashioned, call me hopelessly romantic, you could even call me a fool, but whatever I was, I knew the end result--I was a sucker. To date, I’d never found a guy who was worthy to stand in Prince C’s shadow; no real surprise there, as I’d discovered more and more that guys were something of a pain in the ass. But here, working on my tan at Sapphire Lake’s public beach just a couple of weeks before I was all set to start my senior year at a new school, I’d just found me a Prince Hot Damn.”

I love the main Character, Lucy Larson. She is such a spitfire and strong and opinionated. She has goals and a dysfunctional family, and a crazy confused teenage life. She knows what she wants and goes for it. So, when Jude Ryder enters the scene and turns her world upside down, you understand why she makes the decisions she does.

I think that’s what I liked the most about this book, it’s pretty realistic (I said pretty. There is one scene that involves a football game that is entirely unrealistic), and I liked the book a lot. The twist at the end was amazing (I totally didn’t see it coming) and the struggle their relationship goes through is pretty believable, and I loved the ending. I read it dang fast and purchased the next in the series immediately after. In all reality, though, I think that the first book was perfect the way it was, ending and all.

Clash is the sequel. It follows Jude and Lucy through college (they’re attending different ones since they have different focuses--which I liked). This book was a little more drama-filled and unbelievable than the first. I kind of wish I hadn’t read it, but I just wanted to know more about Jude and Lucy. Their relationship goes through a lot more ups and downs, and the things that Jude asks of her I think are a little farfetched (“Yea, Lucy, I know this super hot cheerleader is following me around and wants me to take a shot from her chest at the party and has the hots for me and you and I hardly spend any time together, but trust me, there’s nothing going on.”). I don’t like how Lucy’s asked to believe--without ANY doubts or suspicions--that nothing’s going on between Jude and that cheerleader. The scenarios that are set up and that she walks into, how is she to believe anything else.

There’s LOTS of steamy scenes in this one, about a bajillion more than the first book, which got kind of tiresome. And the ending was sooo cheesy, I loved it so much!! :) Not gonna lie, I’m a sucker for an HEA here. Overall, I liked this book, and Nicole really is a talented writer.

So, my recommendation, read Crash and skip Clash. But, you’ll probably get sucked into the sequel, too. Okay, happy reading, my friends!!

--Me



No comments:

Post a Comment