Thursday, September 22, 2011

A couple is 2 a few is 3


I've been trying to teach Hubby the difference between the meaning of "a couple" and "a few". Correction: I've been trying to teach Hubby that those two phrases actually have a numeric value attached to them. I figured this was a necessity in our marriage after a few trips that went like this:

Hubby: "We need to go to the sporting goods store."

Me: "Why?"

Hubby: "I need to look at some camping/fishing/hunting stuff and a couple of other things."

Okay, I could handle that. Meanwhile, TWO HOURS and every product in the store later, I realize Hubby doesn't know that couple & few have literal values. So, I decided to educate him the next time he tried to pull this with me.

Hubby: "I need to go to Wal-Mart."

Me: "For what?" *Trying to finish Blood Red Road*

"I need to look at a couple of things."

"First of all, you don't need to, you want to."

*Rolls his eyes* "You're right; I want to look at a couple of things I need."

Touché, Hubby, Touché. "How many things?"

"I don't know--a couple."

"A couple is two."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is."

"Fine then. A few things."

*Doesn't look up from book* "A few is three."

"No it isn't."

"Yes it is, look it up."

"I don't like being limited."

"Tough, you have to choose. I don't want to wander around Wal-Mart for hours; it's a black hole in that place. Seriously, who puts water filters for Brita pitchers in the auto section?"

"What if I need more than three things?"

"For you, that word doesn't exist. Three's your limit"

"Fine, a few things." At which point I think the conversation is over. But then I hear him say under his breath, "Or right around there."

Just when I think I've got him….

Happy Thursday, my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment